Thursday, January 4, 2018

Barry Wolverton's "The Sea of the Dead"

Barry Wolverton has been writing for children for over 20 years, helping create books, documentary television, and online content for Discovery Networks, National Geographic, the Library of Congress, Scholastic, and Time-Life Books, among others.

His debut novel, Neversink, was named the Children’s Book of Choice by Literacy Mid-South for their Read Across America program in 2014.

Wolverton's latest novel in The Chronicles of the Black Tulip is The Sea of the Dead.

Here the author shares some thoughts about an adaptation of the series:
When I think about The Chronicles of the Black Tulip being brought to the big screen, I actually fantasize about a single animated movie condensing all three books, made by the legendary Studio Ghibli (Princess Mononoke; My Friend Totoro; Spirited Away). That may seem odd — perhaps more commercially plausible would be something akin to Steven Spielberg’s Tintin movie. But when I think about what my series is really about, and all the passages involving Asian folklore and mythology, I can’t help but think of the haunting, sometimes surreal, sometimes humorous, dark-fable qualities I love in those Miyazaki movies. There is a classic, timeless storytelling to his work, along with a singular artistic vision, that would elevate the Chronicles beyond typical adventure-fantasy fare, which is what I tried to do with the books themselves.
Visit Barry Wolverton's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Vanishing Island.

--Marshal Zeringue