Monday, July 13, 2015

Lauren Saft's "Those Girls"

Lauren Saft holds an MFA from the University of San Francisco and a Bachelor's degree from Tufts University. She's worked in publishing, TV, education, child care, retail, journalism, and food service, all the while closely studying the habits and compulsions of teenage girls. She currently works as a TV producer in Philadelphia where she lives with her cat and creative inspiration, Desi.

Here Saft dreamcasts an adaptation of her debut novel, Those Girls:
Why yes, I think Those Girls would make a great movie! And funny you ask, all I think about is who would play who in the movie! Despite my constant mulling, the only 100% heart-set actress wish is for Ashley Benson to play Mollie. Hands down, she is Mollie. She’s beautiful, but her eyes are sharp as tacks, and I love it. I love her. I see Alex as maybe a Shailene Woodley or Abigail Breslin, someone with depth and confidence and a subtle beauty. Veronica could go so many different ways, maybe Victoria Justice or Zoey Deutch? I sometimes see her as Sarah Hyland from Modern Family too.

For the boys? Drew is Miles Heizer, dreamy, sweet, handsome and soulful. Sam is Dave Franco—he may be too short, but I think he could really bring the comedy that Sam would require (I would also love Zac Efron, but he might be too old now?) or Liam Hemsworth maybe! Fernando is Tyler Posey. And Josh? Josh Hutcherson or Nick Jonas.

And director.... for an edgy and dark teen movie? Is there any other choice? Amy Heckerling.
Visit Lauren Saft's website.

--Marshal Zeringue