Sunday, August 10, 2014

Kim Boykin's "Palmetto Moon"

Kim Boykin is the author of The Wisdom of Hair from Berkley, Steal Me, Cowboy and Sweet Home Carolina from Tule, and the newly released Palmetto Moon, also from Berkley.

Here Boykin dreamcasts an adaptation of Palmetto Moon:
I think and write cinematically, so this isn't the first time I've daydreamed about Palmetto Moon, the movie. Vada Hadley is a gorgeous bubble headed blonde on the surface, but underneath all that fluff beats the heart of a very smart and funny Audrey Hepburn. When I see the hero, Frank Darling, in my head, I see an actor many may not know or remember. Big, tall, gorgeous Paul Newman. Please note that Frank is at least six inches taller than Paul, so we're stretching him a bit.

There is a rather unconventional love story between Vada's friends Claire and Reggie.If we're sticking with Hollywood of Yesteryear, I'm going with Joanne Woodward who was wonderful at playing strong women, and, I suspect she was probably one in real life. I can't see Paul Newman married to anything but. As for Reggie, I'd pick Rock Hudson, who was a, big, beautiful, strapping gay man, but had to hide that in real life. I think he'd do Reggie proud.

Keeping it old school, for big, mean old Miss Mamie, I'd choose Shelley Winters. For Vada's hoity-toity parents I'd have to pick Kirk Douglas and Lauren Bacall. One thing is for sure a movie set with all these huge stars wouldn't be boring.
Learn more about the book and author at Kim Boykin's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Wisdom of Hair.

My Book, The Movie: The Wisdom of Hair.

Coffee with a Canine: Kim Boykin & Wylie, Molly and Toby.

Writers Read: Kim Boykin.

The Page 69 Test: Palmetto Moon.

--Marshal Zeringue