Monday, October 1, 2012

D.E. Johnson's "Detroit Breakdown"

D. E. Johnson, a graduate of Central Michigan University, is a history buff who has been writing fiction since childhood. He comes by his interest in automotive history through his grandfather, who was the vice president of Checker Motors. Johnson's books include The Detroit Electric Scheme and Motor City Shakedown.

Here he shares some ideas for the above-the-line talent to adapt his latest novel Detroit Breakdown, and its predecessors, for the big (or small) screen:
“Everybody” asks me when my books are going to be made into movies. I write in a very cinematic style, and I think my readers visualize the stories as they occur. I’m lucky enough to have very passionate readers, and they have lots of ideas for who ought to be in the movies.

In a dream world, I’d have to go with Leonardo DiCaprio as Will Anderson, Keira Knightley as Elizabeth, and Martin Scorsese as the director. Leo and Keira are getting older than my characters now, so maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt ought to be Will. I’m not sure about Elizabeth. Anyway, I think Keira can pull off mid-twenties.

While I was writing the books, there was really only one character I saw as a particular actor, or actors, I should say, because I thought both Gabriel Byrne and Liam Neeson would be great as Detective Riordan.

Actually, I (and my agent) see the Will Anderson series as a cable TV series. My plots have a lot of twists and turns, and have a bit of a Deadwood/Breaking Bad aesthetic. I think every book could be a season, so I’ve got three years already written. Give me David Milch or Vince Gilligan to run the show, and I’m happy to let them choose the actors.
Learn more about the book and author at D.E. Johnson's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: Motor City Shakedown.

Writers Read: D.E. Johnson.

The Page 69 Test: Detroit Breakdown.

--Marshal Zeringue