Monday, August 6, 2012

Shon Hopwood's "Law Man"

Shon Hopwood is a law school student at the University of Washington School of Law who, prior to law school, served over ten years in federal prison for a string of bank robberies he committed as a young adult. While in prison, he learned the law and he wrote legal briefs for other prisoners, two of which were granted by the U.S. Supreme Court—the equivalent of winning the legal lottery. Law Man: My Story of Robbing Banks, Winning Supreme Court Cases, and Finding Redemption is the story of his prison term, legal successes, and the romance of his now wife while he was still incarcerated.

Here he dreamcasts an adaptation of Law Man:
Law Man has six main characters.

By far the hardest choice would be picking a character for my wife, who is movie star beautiful. Many people mention Angelina Jolie as the obvious choice, but Annie would prefer Rachel McAdams, who seems to possess the same sweet quality as my wife.

Seth Waxman is the former U.S. Solicitor General who took over the Supreme Court case and became a mentor to me. I think George Clooney could play a great Seth because Clooney seems to pull off the charming but confident persona.

Noah Levine is another attorney involved in the Supreme Court case who later became a mentor to me. Noah has an uncanny resemblance to Rob Lowe and the same reserved demeanor.

John Fellers is my friend from prison. It was his case that was granted by the Supreme Court. Bradley Cooper would play an awesome John because both think they are players.

Bobbie is my best friend from prison. I actually think Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson would play a good Bobbie, if only because they have the same build and same shaped head.

People have told me about a bunch of different actors that could play me, including Matt Damon, a guy from Mad Men, and Edward Norton. But the one I like best is Ben Affleck. I don’t pretend to look anything like Affleck. I just like that he normally plays a guy’s guy—not a lot of fluff.

To be honest, if one day a movie is made about my memoir, it will mean that my book is successful, which will mean I probably won’t care as to who plays the roles. But it’s fun dreaming!
Learn more about Law Man at Shon Hopwood's website, blog, and Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue