Saturday, July 21, 2007

Duane Swierczynski's "The Blonde"

At least one reviewer has suggested that the smart money in Hollywood should snap up Duane Swierczynski's The Blonde and adapt it for the big screen.

Here the author speculates about which actors might best portray the characters in his novel:
I didn't have any specific actors in mind when writing The Blonde -- in fact, I think that's a recipe for disaster. Instead of allowing your character to develop his/her own voice and personality, you risk having them all sound like Samuel L. Jackson. Because that's who I could cast in every single role of every single novel or story I've written: Samuel L. Jackson.

I don't even know what my characters look like. I know what makes them tick, but if I try to imagine them, they're kind of vague blurs. I don't like when novelists overdo with character detail; I'd rather imagine my own version.

That said ... if there ever is big-screen version of The Blonde, and Samuel L. Jackson isn't available, here's who I could see playing the three major roles:

"The Blonde": You'd need someone who's beautiful with the potential for being badass. Michelle Monaghan (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) comes to mind, as does Melissa George, who played Lauren Reed in season three of Alias.

Jack Eisley: Here, you need an everyman who can get knocked around, make some mistakes, and still be likeable. Maybe John Krasinski from The Office, or John Cusack. Dark Horse candidate: Paddy Considine, who was incredibly menacing in Dead Man's Shoes, but looks like a fun-loving goof when he's out of character.

Kowalski: Okay, I lied. There is only one choice: Samuel L. Jackson.
Read more about The Blonde, including an excerpt, at the St. Martin's Minotaur website and at Duane Swierczynski's Secret Dead Blog.

--Marshal Zeringue