Monday, March 19, 2007

Brian Freeman's "Stripped"

Brian Freeman is the author of psychological suspense novels featuring detectives Jonathan Stride and Serena Dial. His debut thriller, Immoral, won the Macavity Award for Best First Novel and was a finalist for the Edgar, Dagger, Anthony, and Barry Awards. The widely-praised Stripped followed in October 2006.

Here he shares his (and his readers') ideas about casting the main roles in film adaptations of his novels:
I hear from readers every week who wonder when they’ll be able to see the movies of Immoral and Stripped. I tell them my agent is still working on it – but they don’t call Los Angeles “la la land” for nothing!

Who should play the lead role of Jonathan Stride? Not many readers have dared to offer suggestions on that one. I didn’t have anyone specific in mind when I wrote the book, but I think that Russell Crowe could pull it off (minus the Australian accent). He’s got the right blend of toughness and sympathy. You know he’s a guy’s guy, but there’s also a lot of emotion bubbling beneath the surface. That’s Stride, too.

The more interesting question is, who should play Stride’s love interest, Serena? Many readers (most of them male) have chimed in with suggestions there. Catherine Zeta-Jones comes up a lot. (No complaints from me.) Same with Sara Ramirez from Grey’s Anatomy. (I don’t really see it.) My wife meanwhile leans toward Angie Harmon, formerly of Law & Order. (Again, no complaints.)

If you’ve got suggestions, go ahead and send them to me via my web site at www.bfreemanbooks.com.

Readers also ask if I’m concerned that a movie version will “destroy” the book – a common complaint from those who have barely recognized some of their favorite books when they finally made it to the screen.

That doesn’t really bother me, though. My feeling is: The book and the movie are two different works of art in different media. My book may have been the original inspiration, but by the time the movie is finished, a lot of other creative people have had their hands on the product. You shouldn’t expect the two to be the same.

Me, I’m just interested in seeing how it comes out. And buying popcorn.
Visit Brian Freeman's official website and his blog.

--Marshal Zeringue